UNU Junior Fellows Internship Programme at the Office of the Rector is currently accepting applications from eligible candidates.
The UNU Junior Fellows Internship Program in the Office of the Rector 2022 is now accepting applications. The Office of the Rector at the United Nations University (UNU) seeks highly qualified candidates to serve as Junior Fellows at the UNU headquarters in Tokyo.
The basic objectives of the Office of the Rector’s Junior Fellows Internship Program are to provide a dynamic, challenging, and gratifying experience for graduate students and young professionals. The Office of the Rector, the United Nations University, and the UN system as a whole will benefit from successful applicants.
The program offers chances for the development of new skills and knowledge, as well as a unique and constructive environment for the practical application of graduate-level abilities.
The purpose of the Junior Fellows Internship Programme at the Office of the Rector is:
- To promote interaction and dialogue between young scholars, professionals and UNU.
- To familiarize junior fellows with the activities of the Office of the Rector and the work of UNU.
- To provide opportunities for young professionals to gain in-depth, hands-on experience in a UN agency.
- To expose young professionals to an administrative working environment.
- To provide support to activities within the Office of the Rector.
Responsibilities: Participants in this programme have the opportunity to engage in a number of ongoing initiatives that provide a unique window into the working processes of the University. Junior Fellows support the work of the Office of the Rector in the following areas:
- Administrative research and writing for institutional development: Preparation of executive briefs on priority issues; background research and drafting of topical information briefs in support of internal policy development (i.e. related to the functioning of the University).
- Planning: Supporting the development of project management tools and systems.
- In-person and online event coordination: Supporting the organization of lectures, conferences, workshops, and other public events.
- Meeting coordination: Logistical support and minute taking.
- Editorial support: Proofreading reports and copy editing.
- Communication: Preparation and dissemination of newsletters, event summaries, and other communication documents.
Stipend: Interns who are not in receipt of financial support from other sources such as universities or other institutions will receive a stipend from UNU to partially subsidise their basic living costs for the duration of the internship. The monthly amount of the stipend will be determined for each duty station based on the stipend rates in effect. The stipend will be paid on a monthly basis and part-time internship arrangements are prorated accordingly.
UNU Junior Fellows Internship Eligibility
- Is pursuing or has recently finished postgraduate studies (master’s or doctorate) in an area linked to the University’s activities (within two years of application).
- Is younger than 32 at the time of application.
- Must not have worked in their linked area for more than 5 years.
- Has native or fluent written and spoken English.
- Has exceptional research, writing, and analytical abilities.
- Can build and maintain productive professional relationships with individuals from various backgrounds.
- Exhibits ingenuity and innovation in problem-solving.
- Possesses excellent computer skills: sound, hands-on, MS Office application knowledge (familiarity with ICT tools and a high level of proficiency in Microsoft Excel are desirable).
- Has exhibited an interest in the United Nations’ activities, particularly the work of the United Nations University.
How to Apply for UNU Junior Fellows Internship
Junior Fellows are selected twice a year via a competitive application procedure. Graduate students who are interested in the UN’s work, particularly UNUs, are urged to apply.
From May 2 until May 29, 2022, applications for the Fall 2022 session will be accepted. Due to the pandemic, only candidates who live in Japan and are able to travel to UNU headquarters in Tokyo will be considered for the Fall 2022 term.
Click here to apply
Deadline: May 29, 2022
Visit the official website for more information.
Recommended for you