The United Nations World Oceans Day Photo Competition 2022 is now accepting entries. Photography is a great tool for expressing emotion or conveying a message.
This open and free photo competition aims to stimulate the production of images that captures the beauty, problems, and significance of the ocean and humankind’s relationship with it, in the hopes of contributing to conservation efforts.
Six theme categories are eligible for contributions in the photo competition:
- Above Water Seascapes
- Underwater Seascapes
- Nature-Based Solutions & Ocean Exploration
- Ocean Critters
- Coastal Communities
- The winning photographs will be honored at the United Nations on June 8, 2022, at an event commemorating World Oceans Day.
- The winning photographs and finalists will be widely recognized and disseminated on the contest websites, the media, and informative materials linked to future competitions.
- Winning images have been reproduced for exhibits across the globe.
United Nations World Oceans Day Photo Competition | Eligibility Criteria
- Entrants of all skill levels are welcome.
- The employees and judges of the photo contest are not permitted to participate in the competition.
- The entries may have come from any camera, digital or analog (as scanned slides).
- The norms of conservation shall be rigorously followed. For the purpose of a photograph, flora and animals should never be strained or threatened. Entries that are suspected of engaging in any of the following actions will be disqualified:
- Photographers are doing havoc on the environment (e.g., gear dragging or kicking up sand, divers exhibiting poor buoyancy control)
- Animals that show indications of being stressed (e.g., puffed puffers, inking octopus)
- Animals were relocated to an unnatural or dangerous habitat.
- Marine life being touched or placed (e.g., nudibranchs, coral polyps, seahorse tails)
Photo Submission Guidelines
- Entries must be supplied in JPEG format and the longest dimension should be between 2,000 and 6,000 pixels. Keep your photographs to a file size of no more than 5,000KB (5MB). Images should be in the AdobeRGB 1998 or sRGB color space since they will be seen on a big display.
- On your photographs, there should be no watermarks or borders. These features will distract from the overall effect of the picture. It’s not that they don’t want you to secure your photographs; it’s simply that an image with a watermark on it is difficult to enjoy. (Winning photographs will be exhibited in a uniform manner, and your image will be properly tagged as your image when it is shown.)
- Only one photograph may be submitted to each category.
How to Apply for the United Nations World Oceans Day Photo Competition
All submissions must be received by midnight Eastern Standard Time on April 15, 2022. (EST).
To enter, please click here.
Deadline: April 15, 2022
Visit the UN World Oceans Day Photo Competition for more information.
Recommended for You