In the academic session 2022/23, Copenhagen Business School is accepting applications for a PhD scholarship in Technology, Organization, and Society.
The main goal is to improve our understanding of how technological advancements such as automation and the proliferation of algorithmically and data-driven forms of knowledge production affect communication, management, and governance in contemporary organizations and societies in the Global North and/or the Global South.
We encourage candidates whose research interests include the role of innovative technologies in governmental, corporate, and citizen behaviors, including but not limited to environmental, health, working life, ethics, and justice concerns, as well as social change.
Applicants must submit a theoretically based research proposal that considers the historical significance and ambiguities of technology in the production of knowledge, communication, governance, and management practices.
They are looking for people with a variety of backgrounds in the social and human sciences, such as media and communication studies, organizational and management studies, culture studies, political science and international relations, development studies, sociology, science and technology studies (STS), anthropology, geography, and philosophy.
Worth of Scholarship
A PhD fellowship lasts three years and involves teaching responsibilities equal to six months of labor (840 work hours).
According to the national Danish collective agreement, the scholarships are fully paid employment.
The current monthly compensation ranges from DKK 27,871 to DKK 33,659, depending on seniority, and includes a 17.1% pension contribution.
The award covers tuition, office space, course materials, and travel expenses (according to the current CBS agreement).
Salary levels and employment are determined by an agreement between the Ministry of Finance and the Academics’ Central Organization.
Requirements for the PhD Scholarship in Technology and Organization
The candidate must meet the following criteria in order to be considered.
- hold a master’s degree in basic education (equivalent to the 3 + 2 Bologna process)
- have obtained a mark of 10 (or equivalent) on the Danish 7-point grading system for their master’s thesis
- have a combined weighted grade point average of at least 8.2 on the Danish 7-point grading system, or a weighted grade point average of at least 9.5 for the master’s degree alone
- having a basis in the social sciences as a subject of study
- before beginning the PhD program at CBS, you must have finished your master’s degree.
- master academic English writing and speaking at a high level
How to Apply for the PhD Scholarship in Technology and Organization
A five-page project description must be included in the application. The following items must be included in the project description:
- a presentation of a unique research problem
- an explanation of the theoretical framework and procedure that was used at the beginning
- a presentation of the empirical data that will be used
- a three-year strategy of action
- Copies of the following documents must be submitted in addition to the project description:
- diplomas for bachelor’s and master’s degrees, as well as other similar certifications and grade transcripts
- a curriculum vitae that is succinct (CV)
- a list of publications and articles (if applicable)
- one example of a chosen piece of writing (e.g., a master’s thesis)
- English language skills documents
Deadline for applications: March 15, 2022.
For more information and to apply, go here.
Recommended for You