For the academic year 2022–23, the Society of American Archivists is accepting applications for the Mosaic Scholarship for Students of Color in the United States or Canada.
The Mosaic Scholarship helps students of color pursue graduate degrees in archive science by providing financial and mentoring assistance.
It promotes the diversity of the American archives industry by encouraging students to choose careers as archivists.
As a result, the prize is presented to individuals who have shown exceptional scholastic and personal potential.
It’s also for individuals who show a dedication to both the archives profession and the advancement of diversity issues within it.
Worth of Award
- As funds allow, qualified students will receive up to two $5,000 scholarships from the SAA and SAA Foundation.
- A one-year free membership in the Society of American Archivists is also given to each scholarship winner. They also get a free registration to the Society’s Annual Meeting for the year they win the award.
Mosaic Scholarship Requirments
- The applicant must be of legal age.
- a United States or Canadian citizen or permanent residence
- Native Hawaiian/Other Pacific Islander, Asian, Black/African American, Hispanic/Latinx, Middle Eastern/North African, or American Indian/Alaska Native heritage.
- (The graduate program must include at least three courses in archive science or be listed in the current SAA Directory of Archival Education.) Currently enrolled in a graduate program or a multi-course program in archival administration, or have applied to one for the next academic year.
- enrolled in a graduate program and starting school no later than September 1 or the next autumn semester/quarter. The prize will be revoked if this does not happen.
Likewise, the applicant
- At the time of award, she/he must have completed no more than half of the credit requirements for her/his graduate degree (i.e., June 1).
- It is possible to work full-time or part-time.
- After the second semester, you must submit a 500-word report to the SAA Council.
How to Apply for Mosaic Scholarship
All applications must include the following:
- A cover letter expressing interest in the scholarship and demonstrating how the candidate satisfies the criteria.
- Official transcripts from the most recent academic program attended by the applicant.
- An essay of no more than 500 words describing the applicant’s interest in archives and how they would address diversity issues within them.
- Two letters of recommendation are required. By the application deadline, your references must submit their letters of recommendation to your online form. This is why it’s a good idea to tell your references in advance.
Deadline: All applications must be submitted by February 28 of each year.
Click Here for More Details