Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship for International Scholars will be awarded to outstanding computer researchers for the year 2022.
Microsoft is happy to announce its Research PhD Fellowships for PhD students undertaking research aligned with the Microsoft Research Areas of Focus at institutions across the world.
The Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship is a worldwide initiative that seeks for and supports the next generation of outstanding computer researchers. Over 700 fellows have been funded by the Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship program, many of whom have gone on to work at Microsoft.
Fellowship Sponsor(s): Microsoft
Host Institution(s): Microsoft
Number of Awards: Several
Study Level: PhD
Duration: Not specified
Nationality: Asia-Pacific, Canada & United States, Latin America, Europe, Middle East & Africa
Provisions of the Award:
- $15,000 USD is provided to help complete research as part of their doctoral thesis work for the academic year 2022/2023.
- Eligible recipients will be offered a 12-week paid internship with a Microsoft Research Institute.
- Opportunities will be provided to build relationships with research teams at Microsoft and receive mentorship.
Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship Requirements
- Applicants must be enrolled in one of the qualified universities.
- The study proposal must be directly connected to one of the topics:
- AI/ML/NLP/data science: In many practically useful applications, data is often scarce and biased. Understanding how we work under these settings and deliver useful results has a great impact on many practical problems and gives us deep insights into what it means to learn with data. From practical applications such as NLP to understanding the fairness and generality of results and deepening our understanding of what is feasible with the available data for a particular problem. We’re interested in how we work better with the limitations of data.
- Health: Advances in machine learning and AI offer us an opportunity to address the disparities in the access to, and delivery of quality healthcare for all people. We’re interested in understanding and exploring spaces where technology can assist to fill the gap, from assisting healthcare practitioners to perform their roles more effectively, to bridging the last mile to patients, through scaling the delivery and reach of quality healthcare using technology.
- Sustainability: Microsoft’s commitment to sustainability will be achieved by leveraging cloud and artificial intelligence (AI) tools to transform the way we monitor, model and ultimately help in solving environmental challenges facing the globe. If you are a student enrolled in an African University undertaking a PhD program in artificial intelligence, machine learning, statistics or a related field with a focus on solving problems related to sustainability, we would be delighted to receive your application.
- Human-computer interaction: We seek fellows in Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) who will explore Usability and Design questions in the areas of Work, Health Sustainability & Society. Typically, HCI interns lead and conduct research studies (online or on the ground), usability studies, literature reviews, and design interventions.
- Between August 2022 and July 2023, they must be in their third year or beyond of their PhD program.
- Students must remain enrolled at the institution at the start of the academic year 2023 in order to keep their scholarships.
- Students who submit a proposal should be able to talk about their studies in English (both in writing and orally).
How to Apply for Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship
Interested applicants for the fellowship are to submit proposals and letters of recommendation before the application deadline. The information below will be required to submit your proposal:
- Your name, email, country, university, and department.
- Primary area of research.
- Thesis proposal or research statement title.
- Month and year entered the PhD program and expected graduation date.
- URL to your professional website (optional, but strongly recommended; you are encouraged to make certain it is up-to-date).
- One to three academic conferences you are most likely to attend.
- Self-assessment of the Statement of Good Standing.
- Curriculum Vitae.
- Thesis proposal or research statement.
- Summary of the Thesis proposal or research statement.
Application Deadline: June 07, 2022
Visit the official website for more information.
Recommended for you