For the 2022/2023 academic session, Xiamen University is accepting applications for the Marine Scholarship for Masters and Doctoral degree programs in China.
The Marine Scholarship of China is a joint initiative of the State Oceanic Administration (SOA) and China’s Ministry of Education to provide financial support to outstanding students from coastal countries or regions around the South China Sea, Pacific, and Indian Oceans, as well as African and American developing countries.
The goal is to pursue a master’s or doctoral degree in oceanography or other related fields in China, with the goal of developing advanced professionals in these fields for developing countries, enhancing international marine cooperation and exchange, and promoting harmonious ocean development in the region and around the world.
The China Scholarship Council (CSC) is in charge of the Scholarship’s admissions and day-to-day operations.
Worth of Scholarship
The Scholarship consists of the following components:
- Tuition fee;
- Fee for on-campus housing or monetary assistance for off-campus housing (RMB 700/month for master’s programs; RMB 1,000/month for doctorate programs);
- RMB 3,000 per month for master’s degrees; RMB 3,500 per month for doctorate programs;
- Medical insurance covers everything.
Other costs associated with studying in China, such as foreign travel, the cost of the physical examination, the security deposit for on-campus housing, and the cost of course materials, shall be covered by the scholarship winners.
Requirements for the Marine Scholarship
- Non-Chinese nationals in good health from a coastal/island country in the South China Sea, the Indian Ocean, the Pacific, and its surrounding island nations, or from an African or American developing country, are eligible to apply.
- An application for a postgraduate degree program in ocean-related disciplines is required.
- Applicants who are presently employed in oceanographic and related industries will be given preference.
- Education and age restrictions (as of September 1, 2022):
- Master’s degree programs require that you have a bachelor’s degree or above and that you are under the age of 40.
- Doctoral degree programs require that you have a master’s degree or above and that you are under 45 years old.
How to Apply for the Marine Scholarship
- Applicants must apply for a Marine Scholarship online and print out the application form.
- The candidate must fill out the Scholarships Application Form in Chinese or English and sign it.
- Applicants must submit a new online application and scan a copy of the Marine Scholarship Application Form.
- Applicants must provide all required application materials and will be held liable for the validity of their papers. Application materials that are incomplete or falsified will be rejected.
- Applicants should keep their phones on, check their email, and log in to their online application account on a frequent basis since the Admissions Office at XMU will contact them if required.
- The applicant’s academic background, academic record, employment experience, language skills, general merits, research accomplishments, and the remarks of their potential supervisor will be thoroughly examined.
- For final clearance, the selected applicants will be sent to China’s Ministry of Natural Resources and China Scholarship Council.
Deadline for application: March 31, 2022.
Follow this link for more details.
Recommended for You