The Institute for Comparative Modernities (ICM) at Cornell University is accepting applications for the ICM Global South Translation Fellowships in the United States in 2022.
The ICM examines the modern’s international breadth in its many articulations with capitalism and colonialism, as well as their legacies.
It supports the study of artistic, intellectual, and social movements associated with modern forms, with a focus on developments beyond the historical West.
An investigation of epistemologies and paradigms arising from civilizations and regions beyond the West is critical to the ICM’s goal.
Worth of Award
- A grant of up to $5,000 is available from Cornell University towards the completion of translations of works from the Global South (Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Caribbean, and so on) into English.
- This is a remote, non-resident fellowship that allows the recipient to do the work outside of the institution.
- Depending on the nature of the project, the rewards will vary from $1, 000 to $5,000.
Retranslations of ancient, classic books, as well as previously untranslated works, collections of poetry, prose, or critical theory, may be included.
ICM Global South Translation Fellowships Requirements
Applications must include
a two-page CV/résumé that includes institutional affiliation, educational credentials, including highest degree earned, and notable publications/works produced
two-page narrative describing the translation project to be completed during the fellowship time, including a reason for the work’s value, justification for a re-translation, if necessary, and anticipated completion dates. It might be a work-in-progress or a brand-new initiative that falls within the grant’s timeline.
four to a five-page sample of the source text(s) and translation (double-spaced).
Please attach a copy of the copyright notice from the original text, as well as a letter from the copyright owners indicating that English language rights to the work are available if the work is not in the public domain.
RELATED: ETH Student Summer Research Fellowship 2022
How to Apply for ICM Global South Translation Fellowships
- The official website is where all applications for the ICM Global South Translation Fellowships should be submitted.
- Please submit a single application with a selected lead translator and a CV/résumé for each collaborator if the project is collaborative.
Deadline: Applications must be submitted by December 1, 2021, 11:59 pm ET.
Click Here for More Details