The Google News Initiative Student Fellowship in Europe 2022 is currently accepting applications.
The Google News Initiative Student Fellowship was established to help the next generation of European journalists.
Student Fellow applications are currently being accepted by students and recent graduates.
During the summer of 2022, selected Student Fellows will work for eight weeks in one of the participating newsrooms.
Student Fellows will research and write stories, contribute to open source data projects, create new digital products, and/or contribute to one of the many other creative initiatives newsrooms are working on, depending on the specific matching criteria of each newsroom.
The GNI Student Fellowship will begin with an online Bootcamp that will enable Student Fellows to meet one another, form a network, and attend career-enhancing sessions from industry leaders.
Google LLC is a global technology firm based in the United States that specializes in Internet-related services and products such as online advertising, search engines, cloud computing, software, and hardware.
Along with Amazon, Apple, and Facebook, it is considered one of the Big Four technological giants.
Larry Page and Sergey Brin created Google in September 1998 when both were Ph.D. students at Stanford University in California.
Requirements for Google News Initiative Student Fellowship
Google News Initiative Student Fellowship Requirements are;
- You must be at least 18 years old.
- Enrolled in or admitted to a recognized higher education institution, or have graduated in 2020/2021 to be eligible.
- You must be a citizen of the same country as the newsroom of your choice, or reside there.
- Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Poland, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the Netherlands, and the United Kingdom all provide fellowship opportunities.
Candidates who are most likely to be paired include:
- You’re enthusiastic about journalism, particularly data-driven journalism, the use of artificial intelligence in newsrooms, design, and product, and/or innovative ways of delivering stories.
- You have an aptitude for research and writing, and you think critically.
- All participating newsrooms are encouraged to promote diversity, equality, and inclusion.
As a result, they promote and accept submissions from individuals from all walks of life.
Benefits of Google News Initiative Student Fellowship
Google News Initiative Student Fellowship Benefits are;
- You have the opportunity to become a Student Fellow in 2022 if you apply! If you are chosen, you will have the once-in-a-lifetime chance to work in a European newsroom.
- Student Fellows are compensated for eight weeks of full-time employment by their newsroom. The minimum sum will be €2,500, with the actual amount up to the newsroom’s discretion.
- During the kick-off bootcamp, Student Fellows will participate in important courses and networking opportunities. This bootcamp will help you get the most out of your Fellowship experience.
- Throughout the Fellowship, the European Journalism Centre will check in with all Student Fellows to give them with assistance, training, and advice, as well as to check in on their progress and needs.
Interview date, Process and Venue for Google News Initiative Student Fellowship
The following is the timetable for the GNI Student Fellowship in 2022:
February-March: You have between Tuesday, February 1 10:00 CET to Tuesday, March 15 23:59 CET 2022 to submit your application.
May: Newsrooms pick a Student Fellow after reviewing submissions. Whether or whether their application was successful, all candidates will get an email.
Early June: The EJC will organize an online bootcamp for the 30 chosen Student Fellows, which will prepare them for their Fellowship.
From June through September, Student Fellows work in their host newsrooms for eight weeks.
Some Fellowships may last until early fall as an exception; this is chosen in cooperation with the newsroom and the EJC.
How to apply for Google News Initiative Student Fellowship
Are you both interested and qualified? To apply, visit journalismfellowships.eu and you can click here for additional information.
Application Deadline: March 15, 2022
Visit the official scholarship website for more information