For the academic year 2022/2023 the Leakey Foundation is accepting applications for the Francis Brown African Scholarship in Earth Sciences.
The Francis Brown African Scholarship Fund’s mission is to advance human understanding and scientific interest in earth sciences.
Similarly, in botany connected to human origins, financial help is provided to East African researchers and students working in these fields.
The fund will also encourage research that builds on the work of Dr. Francis H. Brown and strengthens East African universities’ ability in the earth and botanical sciences.
Worth of Scholarship
The maximum prize sum is, in reality, $25,000.
Applicants must be African-American to be considered for the Francis Brown African Scholarship.
- Students or researchers of African ancestry who are Kenyan, Ethiopian, or Eritrean nationals
- (a) are pursuing a Ph.D. degree at a recognized university, ideally from a sub-Saharan African institution, but not necessarily.
- or (b) have finished their Ph.D. degrees within the last six years before applying for financing from this source.
- Following completion of their degree, applicants must show a commitment to a career in their area of study, with a focus on research and teaching in their home country.
How to Apply for the Francis Brown African Scholarship
You will be requested to contribute attachments to your application for the Francis Brown African Scholarship throughout the application process.
Please note that all attachments, with the exception of the applicant picture, must be supplied as PDF files.
- Body of Proposal: Please outline your study or training plans, research interests, professional aspirations, and career prospects in your native country. This file should be limited to one page, single spacing, and a 12 point font.
- Detailed Proposal Budget
- Relevant Curriculum Vitae: Include both your CV and the CV of your adviser. Each CV should be no more than two pages long.
- Sponsor Letter of Support: You may post your sponsor’s letter of support as a PDF. If your sponsor chooses, the letter may be submitted directly to [email protected]
- Photo of the Applicant: In a similar vein, provide a photo of yourself in jpg or.tiff format.
- References: If you want to provide references, please do so in PDF format and keep the number of pages to two. As a result, references should be included in APA format.
- Please send an email to [email protected] if you have any queries.
Deadline: Proposals for funding will be considered twice a year.
Proposals for prizes presented in May must be submitted by January 10th, and proposals for awards granted in December must be submitted by July 15th.
For additional information and to apply, go here.
Recommended for You