The EJN Scholarships for Journalists Covering Biodiversity Conferences 2022 are now accepting applications.
The Earth Journalism Network (EJN) of Internews gives travel grants to journalists who want to attend – and report on – conferences and global summits on biodiversity problems in 2022, especially those linked to the United Nations Convention on Biodiversity (UNCBD).
Despite the uncertainty surrounding travel due to the COVID-19 pandemic, EJN believes it is critical for journalists from a variety of countries—particularly those from the Global South—to be able to attend and report directly from these crucial decision-making spaces, as long as they are able to do so safely. Arcadia Fund’s generous funding has made these scholarships possible.
They plan to grant up to 2,500 dollars in scholarships. Depending on whether overseas travel is required for participation at the conference, the fee may vary. In general, proposals with modest demands will be favored, as long as they incorporate appropriate safety measures.
EJN Scholarships | Eligibility Criteria
The applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Reporting from a low- or middle-income nation as a professional journalist from or representing an established media business. Journalists from the countries mentioned above will be eligible for EJN scholarships. They will also evaluate Russian applications. Women, Indigenous journalists, and early-career journalists are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Have prior experience reporting on environmental problems and be able to clearly articulate the kind of topics they would want to explore while at the conference.
- Make a commitment to attend all days of the conference they’ve decided to attend.
- Provide a letter of support from an editor or media outlet stating that any articles created as a consequence of this scholarship will be published or aired. Both employees and freelancers are required to do so.
- Send in examples of their work in the form of papers or online links. Stories may be written in any language as long as they provide a brief English overview. Story clips on environmental problems are preferred.
- Permit copies of the conference report to be re-published on the EJN website and circulated through social media, with attribution provided to the originating media source.
Conferences that are eligible include, but are not limited to:
The following are some of the criteria used to evaluate applicants:
- Experience with biodiversity and other environmental issues is required.
- The prospective media outlet’s audience reach, as well as clear reporting plans for the planned conference (including a letter of support from the media outlet that will publish or broadcast reports from the conference).
- Gender balance
- The cohort’s geographical dispersion.
How to Apply for the EJN Scholarships
Deadline: Conference scholarship applications will be accepted until May 1, 2022. Decisions will be made public before the end of May.
To apply, go to this link.
Visit EJN Scholarships for more details.
Recommended for You