The Andrew Berends Film Fellowship will help young filmmakers in 2022, according to the Independent Filmmaker Project.
Andrew Berends was a brave and gifted filmmaker who sought out stories in regions that the mainstream media had failed to cover.
He shed attention on communities, individuals, and children who were enduring incredible adversity. With zeal and determination, he traveled, filmed, edited, and marketed his work.
Andy’s family, friends, and coworkers established the Andrew Berends Film Fellowship to keep his legacy alive and active in the documentary realm, where he excelled.
The goal of this fellowship is to help young filmmakers from all areas of life who exemplify Andy’s enthusiasm and tenacity, with an emphasis on telling stories that haven’t been told before.
We hope that Fellows will be able to take their professions to the next level of success and creative fulfillment as a result of their Fellowship experience.
Worth of Award
The Andrew Berends Film Fellowship will include:
- A $5,000 one-time award to help with filming costs (not a co-production grant);
- Connection with a Fellowship Mentor for help with the project’s completion;
- To interact with other artists and show your film, you’ll need a ScreeningRoom Pro account.
- Passes to film festivals such as the Vail Film Festival, Camden International Film Festival, Hot Springs Documentary Film Festival, and more to be announced;
- Taking advantage of networking opportunities when they come;
- Publications, industry events, editing, and other applications are among the additional perks.
Andrew Berends Film Fellowship Requirements
- Applicants must be 18 years old and come from a variety of backgrounds and locales to be considered for the Fellowship.
- Applicants must be working on a feature documentary project in the style of Andrew Berends. Before applying, we suggest seeing at least two of Andy’s flicks. While many of Andy’s films are set in crisis zones, the Fellowship is not restricted to war films; any story is allowed to be submitted.
- Applicants must have one of the following qualifications:
- Previously completed at least one feature documentary production OR;
- OR, you must have completed at least one published documentary photography project.
- OR; worked on a feature documentary film as the principal editor, producer, or cinematographer OR;
- A trailer or sample of the current project has been completed.
How to Apply for Andrew Berends Film Fellowship
The first round of the application is now live at the link on their webpage.
Deadline: Submissions will be accepted until January 30, 2022.
Click Here for More Details
Recommended for You: